Sunday, October 23, 2011

Youtube and the Army of Fonzies

This week has absolutely beaten me.


There was a huge convention in town this week catering exclusively to teenagers. As I've previously mentioned, my workplace is directly connected to our convention center downtown. So, when they weren't doing whatever it was they were there to do at the exhibition, they lived in the mall. A mall swarming with restless teens in a party mood for what felt like days on end. It really makes me wonder: could I have been that obnoxious when I was that age?

Yeah, probably.
At times, it was hellish- one kid broke their leg after climbing on crap he shouldn't have, fistfights nearly breaking out, used condoms being found in places that are more skeevy than the average grossness of finding post-sex evidence out in public. (No evidence that any out of town teens were the ones who left those little gems, but they definitely contributed to the aura of chaos in which that sort of thing can happen without anyone noticing). The food court was a no man's land for the most part. To be fair, and in defense of the kids who were there, most of them were incredibly polite on an individual basis (It's weird being called Ma'am by kids who are only roughly 7 years younger than me.) and the city definitely appreciates the business they bring with them - but when they start screaming call and response games from one end of the mall to the other... let's just say, my nerves were completely shot when I was hearing kids yelling "Aaaaaayyy!" at the top of their lungs every 5-10 minutes.

This was the soundtrack to my week. Let that sink in.
I won't get into the other things stressing me out over this week, because I don't want this turning into Bitching Soapbox Hour, but suffice it to say I felt like I had a lot on my plate, which means that I feel totally devoid of creativity, clarity of mind, or mirth.

Thus, I present to you, a quick rundown of the corners of the internet I've been heading to in order to alleviate my tension and maybe get down with some giggles. Today, I'm looking specifically at you, Youtube:
_______________________________________________________________________


 
Want preview shots like this on your Youtube home page? Subscribe today!
Watercooler Films is an awesome channel that I've been following for a while now. It all started with his series "Worst Movie Scenes of All Time" in which he finds some real gems and posts them in their pure form for your entertainment. It's like getting the best parts out of a so-bad-it's-good movie without actually having to sit through the tedious crap. I thank him for his sacrifice in doing that for me. He hasn't been posting new clips for Worst Movie Scenes all that frequently, but it's definitely worth checking out the archive. Right now, I'm enjoying his yearly 31 Horror Movies in 31 Days series in which he dedicates the month of October to short-but-sweet reviews of horror movies. While most of the films he picks out are atrocious, adding to the humor of the resulting review, I really appreciate that he doesn't simply tear each movie apart just for the sake of a funnier video. If there are positive qualities to a film, he'll tell you about it. And if it was like having his teeth pulled out, he'll definitely let you know.


_______________________________________________________________________

These two ladies get listed together because I find them at their funniest when they combine forces. They are such a fascinating mix of hot + nerd + genuinely weird that makes me jealous. If my Youtube page could be half as interesting as some of the random things they post, I'd be much more satisfied with myself. I'm kind of in love with this video starring both of them: it captures some of the hottest faces ever put to film (said with and without sarcasm). I've watched it an embarrassing number of times since it was posted earlier this month, probably because it reminds me of things I would have made with my friends in high school if we'd had the camera skills and the patience.


_______________________________________________________________________ 



I'm the kind of geek who seeks out intellectual stimulation, even if I don't necessarily agree with the points being made in one's persuasive argument. RSA Animate combines my love of somewhat high-brow philosophical and intellectual discussions on topics that effect our society and my love of doodling. Some may find the subject matter dry or hard to swallow, but I find this kind of thing fascinating and it makes me feel more alive - it inspires me to think more about the big picture when I'm getting too bogged down into the tiny passing details of my life that won't hold much weight in my future but seem so stressful in the moment.

_______________________________________________________________________


Epic Rap Battles of History is just plain silly and I love it. (Video NSFW due to language, btw.) They make some of the most random pairings for their rap battles. Some of them are logical in a way- Einstein and Hawking, Napoleon vs Napoleon Dynamite, Dumbledore vs Gandalf. But what would put Mr. T vs Mr. Rogers? What universe would put Genghis Kahn against the Easter Bunny? It is random, the raps are usually very well crafted, and the impersonations, while not always spot on, always amuse me.

_______________________________________________________________________

Thus ends my brief look into some of the things I use to amuse myself. I'm sure the list will be expanded over time, as this only scratches the surface of my internet haunts (seriously, there's a reason I hardly watch TV anymore).

Much love, deep breaths, and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment