Wednesday, July 6, 2011

And Now for Something Completely Different

My head is running amok with thoughts about a film I just watched. However, as the hour is late and I'm too tired to write more than a rough draft of my thoughts, a review will have to wait. Attempting to write anything of substance right now would seem futile, as it would pale in comparison to the complexity of what is whirling through my head.

So instead, I give you a monkey.
You're probably looking at this thinking sure, it's a nice picture of a monkey. Google can give me hundreds of those on a whim. But this picture is a self portrait. This is the monkey equivalent of a Myspace profile picture.

Photographer David Slater went out into the wilds to take photos of the endangered black crested macaque. The monkeys apparently took quite a liking to him.
Gooble, gobble, gooble, gobble, we accept him, one of us.*
In partying it up with the monkeys, one of them snatched is camera equipment.

‘They were quite mischievous jumping all over my equipment, and it looked like they were already posing for the camera when one hit the button,’ said Slater. ‘The sound got his attention and he kept pressing it. At first, it scared the rest of them away but they soon came back – it was amazing to watch. He must have taken hundreds of pictures by the time I got my camera back but not very many were in focus. He obviously hadn’t worked that out yet.’

A goofy looking grin from a happy monkey playing with a new toy. That's your little ray of sunshine moment for the day.



* Reference too obscure? It's from the film Freaks from 1932.

No comments:

Post a Comment