Saturday, June 25, 2011

She's Crafty - 8-Bit Hoodie

I have a hidden passion: I love DIY projects.

I collect tutorials in my bookmarks and regularly watch interior decorating shows - not so I can oogle at things I can't afford, but so I can figure out ways to achieve the same effect on my own.

It's not really all that apparent, since I don't have my own sewing machine, nor do I have space to stretch out and work on a big project. Hell, right now I don't even have my own space that I can really decorate outside of hanging up a few of my paintings. I have always loved the idea of customization, whether it be in clothes or decor or what-not. It saves money, it's generally good for the environment, and leaves me with something completely unique. When I get time to charge up my camera, I'll probably take a few snaps of things I've made. But that's for another day...

Here we've got a tutorial that combines two of my loves: DIY and Geekery. Check out a super-simple tutorial on making a Space Invader's inspired hoodie:
Keep in mind that this process can be used on anything from a shirt to a jacket... hell, even a pair of jeans, if you're creative enough and use sturdy enough fabric. I'd start out with a simple design, like the Space Invader if you're doing this for the first time.

This video comes from the awesome Corrine Leigh (formerly from Threadbangers). She's started a new show on Youtube called Craftovision. Anyone into DIY tutorials specifically focusing on clothing should check her out.

So, yeah. Taking a cheap hoodie and making it something geektastic is WAY cooler than buying it's equivalent at Hot Topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment