Sunday, August 21, 2011

Unscheduled Detour


Just wanted to take a moment to say the following:

Life is hectic, stressful, and exhausting and can often feel like an endless list of things you need to do followed by an equally long list of obstacles - and it is wonderful, all the same. I think we often get so bogged down in our day to day struggles that we don't necessarily take the time to breathe and think about the good things that we have as opposed to the good things we want but can't yet acquire. Even simple things - like having a job, even if it is not the job that you want, or having a place of your own even if it's a little shabby around the edges.

It brings me back to something I was thinking about the other night - where I currently work, I get to do a lot of people watching and many of the people I see are tweens and young teenagers. I know that at that age, you never want to be told that you are still a child because it feels like it completely dismisses you as an intelligent being able to make your own decisions and rationalize about a situation. In simpler terms, it makes it sound like the adults around you think you're stupid. But many times, when adults tell you that you're still a child or that you shouldn't want to grow up too fast, it's not meant as an insult. It's simply because we can look back at ourselves at that age and recognize that we were not nearly as grown up as we thought we were - and we feel as if we can never go back to the way we felt as children. We can't go back to a time where we can lay out in the grass and feel the sun on our faces and not have to fight the urge to think about the bills we have to pay or the errands we have to run or that jerk in accounting.

I was always told that I was very mature for my age as a young teen (and to a certain extent, I agree). Even as I generally avoided the social dramas that seemed so important to many of my peers that I recognized as fleeting moments of overreaction, I still look back at myself in retrospect and think of how much I have changed in such a short amount of time. I wonder if I'll feel the same way in the next few years...

In any case, this was more of a free-flowing entry and is not really sticking to the theme of geekery, but I felt an urge to write it down. Even as I sit here, exhausted from a long day and thinking about all the work I'm going to have to do on my day off tomorrow, I'm glad that I can make a place in my mind to quietly think about the craziness of my life and how I would hate to miss a minute of it, good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment